Do not use Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck in hot weather

Owners of Steam Deck ‘s and Nintendo switch consoles are advised not to use them in temperatures that are too high, as doing so may reduce performance, trigger an automatic shutdown, or even result in user burns.

Nintendo Switch

A heat wave is massacring many countries in the world. There is a huge drought and the forests are on fire. Despite how unbearably hot it is, some people play handheld games outside, despite the companies’ warnings. Despite how unbearably hot it is, some people play handheld games outside, and the businesses that support them advise against doing so. According to a tweet from Valve from yesterday, ambient temperatures between 0 ° and 35 ° C are ideal for the Steam Deck’s performance. If the temperature rises, the console’s performance will start to decline as this is a protection against overheating of the device’s components.

The company also explains that AMD’s custom APU Zen 2 / RDNA 2 “Aerith” in the Steam Deck can withstand temperatures as high as 100 degrees Celsius. After that, though, the chip will begin to deteriorate, and the Steam Deck will shut down at 105 degrees Celsius to safeguard its internal parts from harm. However, after that, the chip will start to degrade and when it reaches 105 degrees Celsius, the Steam Deck will shut down to protect components from potential damage.

Valve isn’t the only one to issue this kind of alert. Nintendo tweeted last week that using the Switch in a warm environment could cause the device’s temperature to rise; it advises using the device in environments where the temperature doesn’t rise above 40 degrees. Last week, Nintendo tweeted that using the Switch in a hot place could cause the device’s temperature to become high – it recommends using the device in places where the temperature does not exceed 40 degrees.

The Switch can get warm while charging or operating, and these temperatures can be even higher in warm environments, according to information on the Nintendo support website. Users are therefore warned about the potential for burns.