Overdose of vitamin C can make kidney stones

 Vitamin C is thought to be safe, but too much of it can be dangerous. An overdose of vitamin C can cause stomach problems, rashes, and headaches, and it can also make kidney stones more likely to form. I asked the doctor what might happen if you took a lot of vitamin C.

Vitamin C overdose

Ascorbic acid, which is part of vitamin C, is a water-soluble vitamin. It is a powerful antioxidant that helps the body do many things. One of them is to help the body’s defenses. We take vitamin C supplements when there are more illnesses and when we have colds or the flu. A lot of people wonder if you can get too much vitamin C.

The need for vitamin C

Adults need 75 mg of vitamin C (for women) and 90 mg (for men) per day. Pregnant and nursing women, smokers, people under stress, and those with diabetes or hypertension have higher requirements. To give the body the right amount of the compound on a daily basis, consume foods that are the best sources of vitamin C, such as red pepper, parsley, broccoli, and strawberries.

You can turn to supplements and take up to 1000 mg of ascorbic acid every day if you are experiencing an infection or a decline in immunity. At the cellular level, vitamin C enhances immune system performance, and in some individuals, it may lessen or prevent infections.

It is important to keep in mind that there is no scientific proof that taking large doses of vitamin C can treat or prevent diseases like cancer, cardiovascular disease, or others.

It’s important to know that vitamin C is necessary for our bodies to function properly. Its deficiencies can lead to bleeding, petechiae, mucous membrane inflammation, decreased physical performance, anemia, and depression. We must regularly consume it in food or supplements because our bodies cannot produce it or store it.

Overdose of vitamin C: is it possible?

Health-wise, vitamin C is largely unproblematic. Due to the fact that excess is excreted in the urine, it is difficult to overdose on it. When vitamin C is consumed normally with food, it can be absorbed up to 90%, but when taken in doses greater than 1000 mg per day, its bioavailability falls below 50%. It is unlikely to overdose on vitamin C when consumed as part of a balanced diet. This is also unlikely when taking vitamin C supplements, but you should use caution.

Vitamin C Overdose Symptoms

  • skin rash,
  • Headache,
  • heartburn 
  • diarrhea 
  • nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • abdominal pain ,
  • bloating .

Ailments are not dangerous to health . They usually disappear spontaneously after discontinuation of vitamin C supplements, as soon as the body cleanses itself of excess substances.

Kidney stones are more likely to develop when high doses of vitamin C are consumed over an extended period of time. A surplus of ascorbic acid may accelerate the formation of deposits and increase the excretion of oxalate and uric acid. Additionally, an overdose may cause an excessive amount of iron to be absorbed, which could be harmful to your health. Additionally, there might be issues with how the digestive system functions: like unexpected diarrhea

see also : Which vitamins are best for brain health? 

The content of the article was originally published on February 19, 2012.

Sources: 
Vitamin C, ods.od.nih.gov.